Saturday 23 November 2013

DEVIL WEARS PRADA

YES!...THE DEVIL DOES WEAR PRADA!

Non officially six month old and officially four month old tiny little part of the million dollar industry called ‘fashion’, I already have hundred and one reasons to like ,hate ,adore, admire and loath and obviously ask for more of it. They say it right when they say ‘that place is full of bitches!’.

I am reminded of that moment from the movie ‘ Devil wears Prada’ when Nigel tells Andy ‘Yes, because that's really what this whole multibillion-dollar industry is all about, isn't it? Inner beauty.

 Most of us looked upon the movie as one that shows the fashion business at its snoopiest best, but believe me, that is just a glimpse!. Andy has the privilege of getting appreciated and accepted for her good work at least towards the end of the movie, which I doubt seldom, happens in ‘real world’!

"As the world of glitz glamour and much more unfolds before me, I epitomize that flame that used to burn in my eyes and the desire to ‘create marvels’ that I used to carry in my heart as a proud student of design. I feel like a fool for having creased my eyebrows as the seniors working in industry said ‘there are these awesome designers sitting in Europe who will explore and break theirs heads to make awesome and mind blowing new designs, all you are expected to do is copy them religiously!’.Duh!

For the ‘muggles’ of the fashion land of witch craft and wizardry, the place may look nothing less than a wonderland smeared in glamour and luxury. On the contrary, some have such absurd notions about the whole industry that it may make it look like a dungeon!.Though,this may not be anybody’s comfort zone , but it is not a place you need to dread. as I entered the ‘work’ with utmost dedication and the zest to prove myself to the world, I did not expect fairies to greet me, neither did I expect the people to accept me as what I was for I have spent my college life amongst wannabes’ who dwelled on nothing but showoff, and reached a level of insanity where they forgot their real identities.

So, in short, this is how it works. The ground rule is to have a double face all the time, always carry the expressions of a fairy angel but be brimming with schemes, negativity, lust for power and position, insecurities  and all other possible form of complexes and be ever ready to bitch, ditch or even betray even somebody who seemed to be nothing less than a soul mate till a second ago if needed. Oh wait!, some may claim that that is how it is in every ‘corporate’, I bet to differ because we in fashion industry do all this with an air of sophistication and unmatched class. We have pretty faces covering all the dirt, and cheesy taglines and expensive price tags to our merits.

Nothing explains it better than this : That's what happens when you start doing well at work. Let me know when your entire life goes up in smoke, then it's time for a promotion.



3 comments:

  1. It's all Grey Behind the glitz and glamour
    Hoping to read more about the other side, waiting for the next article...
    Kudos author

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jake,
    Thanks for the appreciation..:)

    ReplyDelete